NutroGreen Agro, on all its farms, has introduced integrated pest management (IPM) and composing of bio chemicals in a bid to attain a minimum residue level (MRL) policy on all crops supplied. All farms are also fully drip enabled to ensure efficient utilization of water and fertilizers.
- Multiple Green Houses – The Company grows same crop into several Different Green Houses to ensure consistency in supply, and that products are grown in the most favorable climatic condition.
- Diversified Growing– Products are grown under drip, micro jet, greenhouses to mitigate weather risks.
- Own Farm Production– The company farms Just Under 1200 Acres of cultivated land, and produces over 90% of its exports from in house controlled production. The balance 10% is supplemented from a small group of Key Out growers for Macadamia and Hass Avocado only. We do not prefer to buy herbs from out grower as per company’s principal.
- Pack Houses– Each crop has its own pack house and cold chain management, so that each crop can be handled on its own standard procedure and not to have any compromise on quality and temperature control.
We adopt different techniques as follows:
· Drip Irrigation: To ensure economical usage of water and avoiding loss due to evaporation
· Micro jet Irrigation: To enable Macadamia production during dry and hot spells thus continuous supply.
· Green Houses: Ensures all year round production for herbs.
· Rotations: We grow more than 13 crops and system of crop rotation allows the soil to regenerate before the same crop is planted back. The crops are ploughed back to enrich the soil.
· 85% of all the Irrigation is drip Irrigation, and thereby significantly reducing the amount of water used for production.
· In Crop has its own dams/reservoirs to store surplus water during rainy season.
· Each crop has its own irrigation setup and filtration and fertigation control unit.
· Catchment reservoir proposed to harvest runoff from greenhouses.
Self-regulating transmission line from lake wamala to the all different crop sites and
- We have Mityana city Power to the farm,
- We have individual backup generator stand by.
We are planning to install the solar power to minimize the cost in future
· We are now using about 40% bio pesticides as our crop protection products, targeting 50% before year end.
· Beneficial insects are used both in the greenhouses and on some outdoor crops.
· Continual trial assessments of new bio pesticides products being undertaken.
· All crop residues are incorporated back into the soil.
· Rotational crop management followed.
· Insectaries established alongside blocks.
· Pheromone trap trials also being evaluated.
· We are implementing climate smart practices like live mulching, green manuring & promoting indigenous legume crops Formulating viable, sustainable & profitable commercial orchard farming strategies.
· Trying to execute Integrated Pest Management (IPM) plans for promoting natural farming which supports biodiversity of plants & all other living species. IPM includes biological control of pest, usage of insect repellents &cultural practices. We are following Grow Uganda, Glow Uganda Inclusive Growth with Green Development.
· In all the farms, there are adequate buffer zones left as insectaries, animals’ corridors and beetle banks these are treated as no spray zones.
· Where the farms bonder wildlife conservation areas, electric fences will be put to minimize human/ wildlife conflicts.
· We are working closely NFA Uganda Forestry service to conserve the animals and other natural resources close to our reach.
· All the farms have conformed to the national regulation of 10% tree cover on each farm. we target to continuously increase this through yearly planting.
· Windbreaks being established alongside greenhouses and along access roads.
Perimeter road along fence line acts as firebreak
Natural farm production
- Established tea Plantation on 2003.
- Compost from waste flowers and vegetables and dry husk for macadamia also established to return back and improve fertility and condition of vegetable blocks.
- Apiary being setup to help improve pollination and produce honey.
- Tree nursery being established to grow Macadamia, Avocado, and Herbs.